Discovery Federal Credit Union is thrilled to announce that we have partnered with the American Red Cross to provide holiday cards to local veterans, reservists, VA hospital patients, and National Guard members. This gives you the opportunity to be a bright spot in a hero’s holiday season.
Get Involved – Three Ways to Help
You can participate by:
- Stopping by to fill out a card or two on December 15.
- Spending a half hour or more in our conference room with other volunteers filling out cards on December 15. (You must notify us in advance if you want to do this. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or see the sign-up sheet in the lobby)
- Dropping off a homemade card in our lobby before December 15 at noon.
About the Program
“Holiday Cards for Heroes” has been going on for many years, but participation dropped off during the COVID 19 pandemic and the Red Cross is focused on increasing involvement this year. All we need is your help writing cheerful messages in the cards and the Red Cross will take care of distribution.
Are there restrictions and guidelines for cards?
To make cards as meaningful as possible to a wide audience, we ask that the following guidelines be followed:
- Use generic titles such as “Dear Service Member, Veteran, Military Family Member.”
- The cards should express best wishes for the holiday season and avoid direct references or images highlighting a specific religion as the cards will be distributed widely.
- Cards should not contain glitter, or any other items glued or fastened to the cards. Some cards may end up at the bedside of a hospitalized current service member or veteran and the glitter could aggravate existing health issues.
We hope to see you on December 15!