Job Posted 11/5/2021
At Discovery FCU, we’re dedicated to making the experience of coming to work each and every day with us friendly and engaging. We’re a family, and the time we spend together is full of support, collaboration, and camaraderie. We’re 100% dedicated to the member experience and helping our members, our neighbors, our community, our families, and everyone we come in contact with. And, this dedication shines through in everything we do. We have an exciting career opportunity available for you to join our team as a Loan Officer.
Who We Are
Discovery FCU is more than just a place you bank. We’re your neighborhood credit union that has been serving the Berks County community since 1959. We’re strong supporters of the credit union movement and the philosophy of people helping people. We genuinely want to help our members and provide them with the education, support, and guidance to build strong, independent financial futures. And, we want your help.
What You Will Do
A Discovery FCU Loan Officer is responsible for creating exceptional member experiences by establishing meaningful relationships with our members to discover their financial needs, and offer viable solutions to help them achieve their goals. As a Loan Officer, you will assist our members throughout the entire loan process – from the initial interview, throughout the underwriting process, to the loan closing – for all consumer loans including home equity loans, auto loans, credit cards, personal loans, recreational vehicle loans and more.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Complete the full loan application process. This may include interviewing members in person, by phone, virtually, or through electronic communication; preparing documents, and analyzing data to underwrite loans according to the Discovery FCU Lending policy.
- Analyze, evaluate, approve and fund loans as directed by the Discovery FCU Lending policy.
- Effectively cross-sell ancillary products, including, but not limited to, GAP and Extended Warranties.
- Anticipate members’ needs and recommend other credit union products and services, including alternative financing options when appropriate.
- Obtain and evaluate credit bureau reports, verify debts, employment, estimate monthly payments for all outstanding debts and calculate ratios (secured, unsecured, credit/debt ratios), and determine collateral needs and payment plans.
- Communicate credit decisions to members using appropriate forms of acceptance and denial, or cancellation. Provide loan counseling where needed.
- Understand all policies and procedures of products as directed by Discovery FCU Lending policy, CUSOs, and third-party partners.
- Maintain awareness and compliance with the credit union’s internal policies and procedures, and laws and regulations guiding the consumer loan process.
- Prepare loan documents, including notes, security agreements, payroll deduction authorization, ACH origination authorization, vehicle title forms, etc. Verify that all documents have been accurately completed. Prepare disbursement checks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to explain programs, loan terms, features, policies, and benefits to members.
- Strong relationship building and teamwork skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word).
- Ability to calculate debt to income ratios, loan values, discounts, APR, and other formulas related to the underwriting process.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- This role at Discovery FCU requires National Multistate Licensing System (NMLS) registration under the S.A.F.E. act of 2008. This means we conduct background and credit checks to ensure NMLS registration and Discovery FCU requirements are met.
- Bilingual abilities are a plus.
Education & Experience
- Associates degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or related experience desired.
- At least one-year prior financial institution experience, preferably in a similar role.
What’s in it for You
- You’ll be a financial services guru. We’ll arm you with knowledge of credit union products and services, and compliance with financial regulations. This knowledge will prepare you for career growth within the credit union.
- Great benefits. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to full-time employees that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, flexible spending account, 401(k) plan, tuition reimbursement, rate discounts on qualifying loans, and more!
- This is a career. The Loan Officer position is the foundation of a career with Discovery FCU. You will participate in a robust training program that will develop your skills and knowledge. We believe in investing in our employees’ growth and we promote from within.
- You help our members achieve their goals. At Discovery FCU, you have the opportunity to make a difference. The joy that comes with making a member’s day, and maybe helping them buy their first house or go to college, is an incredibly good feeling.
Other Important Information
You’ll be asked to work a full-time, flexible schedule Monday through Saturday. (Saturdays are rotational) You’ll use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, calculators, copiers, fax machines and filing cabinets. You’ll also use advanced digital technology that may include a self-service kiosk, video banking, tablet banking, smartphones, online and mobile banking, remote access channels and more.
Please note, this job posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
How to Apply
- Apply on Indeed
- Apply on LinkedIn
- Send resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com
Discovery FCU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.